Building English Language Capacity for Armenian Students and Teachers
Within its U.S. government funded, 4-year (2019-2023) “Building English Language Capacity for Armenian Students and Teachers” program PH International is announcing a rigorous, merit-based nation-wide competition for recruiting 40 Armenian in-service teachers of English interested in participating in professional development trainings and in having an experienced TELF mentor.
All details regarding the set of activities envisaged for the selected participants and the process of participant selection are provided below.
PLANNED ACTIVITIES FOR SELECTED 40 TEACHERS
ACTIVITY I: 5-day teacher training in Yerevan (conditionally beginning of February, 2021)
As the 1st training activity of this mentoring and professional development initiative, the selected 40 teachers will participate in a 5-day professional training led by 10 mentor teachers of English, earlier trained within this program. The trainings led by the mentors will be supervised and supported by 2 TEFL specialists who are the lead trainers of this activity. The training will be held in Yerevan and will cover many essential TEFL themes including but not limited to the following:
- Knowing students and their motivation for learning,
- Creating a welcoming classroom environment,
- Effective lesson planning,
- Comprehensible input,
- Classroom management and frequent student interaction,
- Using multiple modalities during instruction,
- Conducting ongoing review and assessment.
During the last day of the training, each of the 10 mentors will be matched with 4 in-service teachers to serve as their mentors throughout the end of the 2021 academic year. PHI and the leading 2 TEFL specialists will present the mentors and the mentees the mentorship procedures (the minimal frequency of online as well as offline lesson observations, the procedures for post-lesson reflections by the mentee teacher, the procedures and templates for provision of feedback by the mentors to the mentee teachers, the usage of the program’s online platform for submission of best lesson plans, etc.).
The timing for this activity is conditionally planned for the beginning of February 2021 but it will be finalized in agreement with the U.S. Embassy in Armenia and the Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sports (ESCS) of the Republic of Armenia, based on COVID-19 and post-war developments in the country.
PHI will apply its best efforts to secure ministerial approval for the mentors’ and mentees’ absence from their work for participation in the training.
ACTIVITY II: Lesson Observations by Mentors (February-June, 2021)
After the 5-day training, the mentorship period convenes which will last for 5 months, throughout February to June 2021.
During the 1st week following the training, the pairs of mentors and mentees will intensively communicate with one another and the principals of the mentee teachers’ schools to develop a tentative schedule of lesson observations to submit it for PHI’s approval. Based on approved schedule, the 10 mentor teachers will work with their mentees to enhance their teaching skills through regularly observing their lessons both online and through in person visits, and providing feedback and support as needed.
ACTIVITY III: Empowerment of Most Active 10 Mentee Teachers to Mentors (Summer 2021)
As the 3nd activity of this professional development initiative, out of the pool of 40 trained teachers 10 most active and effective participants will be selected to become mentor teachers who will be involved in further professional development activities and paid mentoring activities offered by PH International throughout the end of the “Building English Language Capacity for Armenian Students and Teachers” project. More details on this specific stage will be discussed with the selected teachers.
- The deadline for submitting application package is January 14, 2021, 6:00 pm, Armenia Standard Time (GMT+4).
- To learn more on eligibility criteria, selection process and other aspects related to the facilitation of this professional development activity, interested candidates can download from this page the following documents:
- New opportunity «Mardamej 2021 announcement» added.
- New opportunity «Vacancy Announcement. Program Assistant» added.
- New opportunity «Open call for a project assistant (trans* working group facilitator)» added.
- New opportunity «Tenured professor in Armenian studies» added.
- New news «Job Announcement: Fundraising Manager» added.
- New opportunity «Way to work» added.
- New opportunity «SLD host grant» added.
No file choosen