Research opportunity from DEUTSCHE WELLE AKADEMIE: “European Media Facility in Armenia – Building Sustainable and Professional Media in Armenia"
The consortium consisting of DW Akademie, BBC MA, OSIAF (executed by OSF-Armenia), Hetq and Factor implement the EU co-funded project “European Media Facility in Armenia – Building Sustainable and Professional Media” funded by the European Union: EU for Armenia. The overall aim of the project is to contribute to a vibrant Armenian media sector that is able to fulfil its role as a watchdog for Armenian society.
The project started on 1st December 2020 and will last for three years. Within its lifetime the project will target media managers and independent journalists from national and regional media outlets, journalism students, small regional media outlets as well as local stakeholders such as universities.
For further information on this project, please find updates on our social media page.
Regional media is viewed as essential contributor to a vibrant and strong media sector in Armenia because they provide direct access to the communities they serve, especially in rural areas. For a more vibrant media landscape, it is essential to develop contents and reports on key aspects of local people´s lives, be it environmental aspects, peace and conflict, or the rights of marginalized groups. Regional journalists and media organisations carry the expert knowledge about the communities they serve.
The baseline and endline studies shall particularly focus on environmental aspects and climate change and provide research on the status quo of knowledge, involvement, and awareness of selected media in Armenia. The results will be used to integrate appropriate training tools into the E-school learning and training of students in order to strengthen the role of media as environmental activists.
The baseline study is one of the first activities to be implemented in the framework of the project. The main aim is to gather key data related to climate change and environmental protection with particular focus on the Armenian media sector. The study shall clearly refer to indicators and milestones to be used to objectively assess progress in aspects of environmental standards, protection, and awareness.
- Research on perception of media in campaigns, public information and change agents in climate change and environmental protection. Research questions shall include i.e. aspects of capacity and knowledge on climate change and environmental protection, existence of internal policies on waste management in media organizations, previous experience, selection of environmental topics to cover, etc. Gender balance should be acknowledged.
- Target Audience and Data gathering: National and regional media, including 5 regional media outlets selected for financial support in addition to project partners Hetq and Factor (in total additional 7 organisations including staff).
- Research on knowledge and engagement of journalistic faculties and their students in topics related to environment and climate change.
- Data gathering from lecturers, universities and students. Universities, lecturers and students participating in the European Media Facility project shall be included as well. Gender balance should be acknowledged.
- Research on leading Human Rights coalitions, environmental actors and projects funded by the European Delegation in Armenia related to climate change and environmental protection
The endline study shall be the qualitative and quantitative analysis, comparing the outcomes of the baseline study with the results at the end of the project.
Expected Deliverables Baseline Study
- Proposed research methodology taking into consideration restrictions due to COVID-19
- Background research on Armenian policies, approach and current status
- Questionnaires (research questions for different target groups, such as regional media outlets, universities, students) in cooperation with DW Akademie and partners
- Raw data of questionnaires collected
- List with leading Human rights coalitions and environmental actors (website, contact details)
- Expected Content Structure for Baseline Study:
- Executive summary (1page max)
- Country specific background on climate change and environmental protection
- Main findings related to the media sector
- Recommendations to strengthen role and engagement of media in environmental issues/climate change and priority areas for follow-up activities
- Annex: List with leading Human Rights coalitions and environmental actors, questionnaires, interviews
The baseline study should not be longer than 20 pages (without Annexes) and written in English and Armenian language (font size 11).
Expected Deliverables Endline Study
- Research methodology
- National policies on climate change/environmental protection: what has changed from start of the project (baseline)?
- Collection of comparative data based on baseline study
- Main findings related to media sector (in comparison to baseline, i.e. improvements)
- Examples of media initiatives on climate change/environmental protection (best practices)
- Lessons-learned, recommendations and next steps for future initiatives
Expected Dates of Service
01.09.2021 to 01.11.2021 (final report due 1st November 2021).
01.07.2023 to 01.09.2023 (final report due 1st September 2023).
Budget and Payments
Offers are evaluated against the price/quality ratio. Service providers are asked to indicate the price for both studies into their offer. The price should be a lump sum including travel, per diem, translation, proof reading, peer review, info-graphics for social media posts and any other costs that might occur during implementation. No extra costs will be renumerated. The total budget must not exceed 2900 EUR for each research (Baseline and Endline studies).
Payments will be made according to the delivered outputs. First installment will be paid after successful approval of baseline study. The remaining amount will be paid after submission and approval of end-line study.
The service can be offered by individual experts, a group of experts or legal entity. The following criteria shall apply:
- Proven experience in similar research services and/or projects, in particular in climate change, environmental protection and media
- Experience in working with international donors and in Armenia
- Proficiency in English and Armenian (Armenian language skills of at least one expert)
- Availability for the expected dates of service
- Account in EUR
- Submission of offers before the indicated deadline
Service Provider Exclusion Criteria
- Have not been sentenced by final judgment on one or more of the following charges: participation in a criminal organisation, corruption, fraud, money laundering.
- Are not in a situation of bankruptcy, liquidation, termination of activity, insolvency or arrangement with creditors or any like situation arising from a procedure of the same kind, or is not subject to a procedure of the same kind.
- Have not received a judgment with res judicata force, finding an offence that affects its professional integrity or constitutes a serious professional misconduct.
- Do comply with its obligations as regards payment of social security contributions, taxes and dues, according to the statutory provisions of the country where it is established.
Service Provider Award Criteria
- Price / quality ratio (proposed methodology)
Documents to be Submitted For Participation
Applications in English language have to include:
- Individual experts/Legal entity: CV(s) of each person involved, company profile
- Research proposal (max. 3 page) outlining the envisaged research approach including methodology, experts/human resources, approximate timeline and budget
- List with reference projects.
Deadline For Submission
The deadline for submitting offers is 22nd August 2021, 23:59 (local time).
Offers (pdf, word, excel) should be sent electronically to: [email protected]
For clarification questions, please relate to [email protected] no later than 13th August 2021, 9:00 local time. No other clarification questions will be answered after that date.
- New opportunity «Invitation to a Summit by the New Democracy Fund: Civic Summit» added.
- New opportunity «Call for Applications by Strive: Mentoring Cycles (in Armenian)» added.
- New news «Gevorg Ter-Gabrielyan Recalls Downtown Yerevan of the 20th century (in Armenian)» added.
- New news «Isabella Sargsyan on Issues in Yerevan Urban Planning (in Armenian)» added.
- New news «Tema/Rema Podcast, Episode 14: Guide for Policy Paper Development (in Armenian)» added.
- New news «Tema/Rema Podcast, Episode 13: The War According to Participant’s Stories. Anthropological Research (in Armenian)» added.
- New news «Tema/Rema Podcast, Episode 11: On "June 14", A Literary Contest Commemorating the Stalinist Repressions (in Armenian)» added.
No file choosen